Saturday, August 10, 2013

Joyland by Stephen King

Jeeze I loved this book. This was my first Hard Case Crime book , but it won't be my last!
What ever scene Stephen King is setting it really comes alive! I swear I could smell the popcorn and sea air ,hear the noise of the rides , the squeals of the children and see the gulls fly overhead.
Joyland is a story about a young man who has recently fallen on hard times in regards to his love life. Having decided to shake up his life and  do something completely different he finds himself in a new town and a new job at Joyland. Joyland is a park like a smaller version of Disneyland and it has a history and some of those who work there believe it is haunted by a previous visitor to the park who had a tragic experience there.
The story from the beginning is just sooooo good. The main character Devin Jones is a hard working , loyal, sweet guy who is very likeable and trustworthy and great to have around in an emergency. As the story goes on we get to know more about his past and it only makes you like him even more. His dad is equally lovely but we don't get to see as much of his character.
The story is not terrifying in a jump out of your seat type of way. It is more subtle then that.. it will creep up silently making you feel uneasy , a little uncomfortable and a little relieved that you are reading it from your armchair/under duvet/ bubble bath. This story had everything I wanted in a book and left me with a lump in my throat.
Brilliant!

2 comments:

  1. I loved it too. I have a friend who was once a "carny barker" and he assures me carnies are quite strange. They have their own sort of carny culture and I really got a sense of this in Joyland. The main characters were, as you said, likable and trustworthy. The plot was believable and much more subtle than King's horror novels. An easy, enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely easy read with a little eeriness thrown in. I would love to see more books like this from him.

      Delete